Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reasoning of the Law



“ When an author independently creates a work, it is considered original, even though it may be highly similar to another work created by someone else. (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg. 268).  When it came to answering my questions the lawyer that I chose did real well. As we were speaking on the phone we were trying to figure out the best way for him to answer my questions. Of course he had offered to answer them right then and there expect he wanted to make sure that he would understand the questions that I was asking him. We decided that it would be best for me to e-mail him the questions as well as just simple things that I wanted too know. “Using the eCO system, users can file an application for a small fee.” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg. 251).  Mr. Townsend had informed me that if he got the questions through e-mail it would give him the chance to see each question instead of just hearing it. He had also informed me that by sending him the questions through e-mail he would have more time to spend on each one thus giving him the best chance to fully answer my questions to the best of his knowledge. He informed me that copyright can be tricky and our teacher was doing a good thing by having us research it with a lawyer. “ A copyright gives the owner of a creative work the right to keep others from unauthorized use of the work.” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg. 196). I think that personally for him to take the time out and actually think out, with me included, the best way for him to answer these questions for me actually shows me that there are good lawyers still out there. He knew from the beginning that I was a student who was simply doing a project on intellectual property law, but, he decided to help me any way. “ Many trademarks include words or phrases that, by themselves, cannot be protected under trademark law.” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg. 489). Mr. Townsend told me that having a good understanding of copyright and trademark law or intellectual property law in general was a good thing. For me in particular being a photography major I would defiantly need a good understanding of the former more so then the latter. Overall I believe that Mr. Townsend had a good understanding of what I would need from him and broke his logic down to ways that would also incorporate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment