Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Legal Authority


I had originally made contact with Lawrence G. Townsend through telephone. I found him just skimming through Google online looking for Intellectual Property lawyers. Mr. Townsend is located in Sonoma California. When I had first called to inquire about his Intellectual Property skills I was introduced to his secretary, which of course all lawyers have, and she was well informed on what Mr. Townsend's practice was.” The commercial value of intellectual property comes from the ability of it owner to control and exploit it.” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg.4)  She told me that he in particular was strictly an Intellectual Property lawyer. She then connected me with Mr. Townsend who answered my call as soon as it went through. After multiple failures on trying to get into contact with a lawyer who was willing to give me the time of day, I was shocked at how fast he was to respond to me.  "A photographer is wondering why and advertising agency can copy her photographs without permission........When this property qualifies under law for protection it's known as Intellectual Property,"(Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg.1) I started out by telling him my name, and of course my reasoning for giving him a call, I then proceeded to get to  know him through our conversation. Unfortunately after out talk more time had passed then either of us realized, so Mr. Townsend then asked me if I would be willing to email him my questions that way he was able to take more time on evaluating each of them and would also be able to give me his best answer. I later sent him my 10 questions that i had prepared earlier and he emailed me back with my answers fairly recently. He informed me a great deal on what i was asking from him, he also told me good luck on my project and that if I needed any thing else answered not to hesitate emailing or calling him. He told me plenty about how copyright works with my situation. “Copyright law protects a variety of original expressions, including art sculpture, literature, music, songs, choreography, crafts poetry, software, and photography…. and graphics.” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg.196)  I believe that by his willingness to help me so readily is the major reason that he was a good choice for me. He helped me to figure out what questions of mine were the best ones for my field and took the time out to give me more then a one-word answer. He talked to me and helped to figure out exactly what I needed from him when I myself was still unsure. “In the United States, copyright protection derives from the U.S. Constitution, which requires that original works of authorship be protected by copyright..” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark an intellectual property desk reference, Richard Stim, pg.200)

No comments:

Post a Comment